Monday, May 14, 2012

Sneak peek...

Hi there!
 It's Heather here with a little up-date and sneak peek at what I unloaded out of the kiln today! Lots of pretty blues in all sorts of patterns! I was playing around with the sizes of patterns and shades of blue this past firing- for the most part I'm really pleased with what I took out of the kiln!  I ended up doing a bit of 'blind' glazing this last time around as I have been working with a new porcelain that is beautiful, white and translucent, however the glazes tend to be quite fuzzy where they meet the white glaze.  In spots it can look really nice, but occasionally I feel like it messes with the patterns a bit, so I'm going to have to watch out for how thick I apply the glazes the next time around. I also was hoping to expand my deep blue glazes, but am still working towards this.  I have quite a few pale and mid-range tones, but only the one deep indigo.  Hopefully this will change by the time I ship off the work!!

In other news, I up-dated my current website today to include a new video that has been in the works for the past little while.  One of my goals this year was to create a video of my hands at work in the studio.  I felt it was a good time to open up about how my work is made and just some of the steps taken to create the work I make.   I have a process that I have spent a few years developing to glaze and it's a method that really informs my work in a strong way.  Please take a moment to watch the video to catch a glimpse of my low-tech, time-intensive method of glazing.  It will make sense then why I'm so inspired by paper-cutting, quilts stripes and graphic, bold patterns reminiscent of textile prints.

1 comment:

  1. your work is beautiful! i will make sure to stop by bookhou and see it in person

    ReplyDelete